K. Smith

Default do you have compulsory EPIRBS yet??

Because we've had them for years & years downunder; mandatory for "any"
vessel more than 2 NM offshore (with a few exceptions for big bays
impoundments etc)

The good news has always been that they've only had to be the elcheapo
(A$184 say US$136 batt life of 5 yrs) 121.5 MHz which seem to work OK &
I can't think of a time when they haven't been able to find an activated
EPIRB (a few times the owner was no longer attached)

So our latest thing is we all need to get 406 MHz EPIRBS by 2008 which I
accept give better coverage but they're really expensive A$549 US$406.

It seems the only real advantage to coastal boats which the vast
majority of us are, is that people will be instantly ID'd for a false
set off.

Another new rule which has already come into effect is the compulsory
wearing of life jackets in vessels under 4.9 mtrs (16ft) & under certain
circumstances on vessels up to 12 mtrs. Yes even the dinghy rowing to shore.

In the same bundle of new requirements is a new code for fire
extinguishers, again it's probably sensible enough but because my boat
"can" carry about 440 ltrs of diesel I need 2 X 4.5KG (10lbs) dry powder
extinguishers & they're not cheap either. Guess what romantic presents I
got for xmas:-) Now where to put them:-)

Anyway