posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Rod Rigging - Hype?

Only 5?

How many were licensed, professional engineers in the area of structures?

hmmm?

The only place rod rigging is used in structures is where the end could be
threaded, or bent and set in concrete. If it's swaged it's wire rope.

Yes, your guys saw failures - exactly the type of failures from using rod
rigging in that fashion.

Still don't get it, do you?

Think a bit...

Amen!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rod rigging is more often used aboard racing boats than on cruising
boats.
While an argument can be made for rod rigging lasting longer than wire
rigging

In my research for my book I interviewed 5 surveyors in NY, PA and FL
who specialized in sailboats. ALL prefered rod rigging over traditional
wire. ALL felt that it's virtually impervious to failure, so long as
the fittings were updated and NONE had seen a failure and only two had
even heard of rod rigging rigs failing and in both cases it was
actually the chainplate that had failed! ALL had inspected rod rigged
boats from the early 80's that were found to be in excellent condition.
Of course my boat is not very old and her rigging is like new with
terminals updated in 2004.
Bob, it's best to actually do some real research instead of posting
superficial info from Sailnet that you coppied and pasted.

RB
35s5
NY