Tony Thomas

Default Brakes on boat trailer

If you are buying a new trailer to begin with - definetly get the brakes and
your right on the disk surge.
If it is used, I personally would not worry about towing that much weight
without brakes. Just be careful and make sure you have plenty of room to
stop. However, I think you may be under-estimating the trailer weight.
Probably more in the 500 to 700 lb range. Tires, axles, and all that steal
weight quite a bit.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Don White" wrote in message
In this area, a trailer up to 2000 is not required to have brakes.
I see Chrysler is recommending trailer breaks if the load exceeds 1000
pounds.
The sailboat I will be purchasing this spring will weigh 1200 + 300 or so
for the trailer + another 100 for motor/fuel
etc. That will be slightly over the 75% of max trailer towing capacity

for
my mini-van... so I'm wondering if I should add brakes to a new galvanized
trailer.
I'm assuming surge type, stainless steel disc brakes are the way to go.