Rick Morel

Default autohelm 4000 won't disengage

I constantly had that problem. The best solution is to spend the young
fortune on their Wheeldrive II. A much better unit with the insides
all metal and with bearings.

However, there is something you can do about it. Well, a couple
things.

First, pop it apart and clean it. This may do it.

Second, there is a tension adjustment. I'm trying to remember exactly
where. I think it's close to the motor. Look on the motor side for a
plastic cap and pry it off. There's an Allen wrench adjuster with a
locking nut. The locking nut has a couple holes for a tool. I used a
pair of needle nose pliers that have about a quarter inch "bent" at a
right angle. Turn the adjuster a tiny bit and try. It's a very
sensitive adjustment. Too far one way and you get your problem, too
far the other and it won't stay engaged.

Rick

On 1 Jan 2006 14:53:06 -0800, "otter" wrote:

Hi,
I am currently cruising down the east coast and have run into a problem
with the autohelm 4000 wheel autopilot. When in the disengaged, free
wheeling position (such as it would be in on standby when hand
steering), it still engages and will not turn freely--- it kind of
ratchets over the drive gear teeth.
Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this???

TIA

Otter