posted to rec.boats.building
William R. Watt

Default Do-all boat?

"Robert or Karen Swarts" ) writes:
Is anyone aware of a boat, or plans for a boat, that would encompass light
weight (1500lb), trailability, 16 - 22 ft, able to plane at high speed on a
relatively small motor (15-25 mph on 25-50 hp), cabin to accommodate two
people for at least weekends, and still be sailable? I realized it wouldn't
excel at any of these tasks, but I am curious to know if such a do-all boat
exists.

It would be an interesting design exercise to find where the two
efficiency curves cross for various displacements. There are enough
formulae in boatbuilding books and free hull design computer programs for
an amateur to try. The www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Solo15.htm design might come
close. It's near the limit of sailing efficiency. There may be a problem
trying to sell a boat build from such a design.