posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Swim platforms: The Safer Boat by Design

But, what you're saying is that this option was a prime consideration
in
your purchase of your boat because of its safety feature.

NEVER EVER did I post such a thing, Jonathan. I like the swim platform
mainly because they are a ton of fun, especially for the kids.
In fact...in every response to you I've stated that in NO WAY is the
platform a prime safety feature. Yet history shows it has been used
again and again to save lives and obviously many times not recorded.
It's silly to argue otherwise. No one is suggesting the platform be
used instead of SOP, only that a swim platform COULD and HAS been a
viable option. That gives a 35s5 one more way to save a life in
experienced hands.

Hate to tell you, but I'm dead right... the link below describes a
trawler,
not a sailboat. He also used a lifesling.

This is getting pretty silly. Trawler, sailboat or Multihull....the
swim platform CAN and HAS saved lives. Using it with a lifesling
doesn't mean they were able to get the victim aboard without the
platform. Clearly they did what worked, which meant using the sling
COMBINED with the platform.
You're just not making any sense. It's as if you're pretending that I'm
saying the platform is the best MOB device, which I never said or
implied anywhere. You can't argue with history. Or you can...but not
with me.

Here's another rescue...keep in mind that the swim platform should
never be used during a passive recovery of course.

http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Resc...01_erie_oh.htm

History, Jonathan. The swim platform HAS saved lives. Is it the best
course of action? No one has said that it is.

Hell...the swim platform can even save your dog!!!!

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/art_boating.html

RB
35s5...the safer boat
NY