posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

Default Waterproof Screens

On 30 Dec 2005 21:08:32 -0800, wrote:

On fellow commented that he tried a 15 inch LCD
screen at the helm but found it too bright at night. He could not dim
it enough. What has been your experience?

I have the same issue. At night I switch back to using just the
laptop screen which is dimmer, and close the cover when I don't need
to see it. I have the advantage of also having a fairly nice Furuno
chart plotter which dims down to very reasonable levels.

The advantage of having both is that I prefer the route planning and
tracking on the Maptech OSN software, and it gives a better wide angle
perspective in conventional raster mode. The Furuno is ideal for
going one waypoint to another and zooming in for good detail. It also
integrates nicely with the RADAR.