posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Swim platforms: The Safer Boat by Design

Might is the operative word.

Might is a better word than NOT. As I said, the platform is one more
option which is better than one less.

As I said, for distance travel, you have no place to put it.

I can stow it aboard in the locker or place it on the fordeck. It's
rolled in that locker now and there's still room for a tea party in
there. I also know of folks who tow their dinghies on long cruises. No
big deal.

It's a matter of length. A proper tether

will save your life. An improper tether will end it prematurely.

Too much slack was a reference to length. In any case, people make
mistakes. And again, the swim platform is one MORE option. Nothing
changes that, Jonathan. In a perfect world you don't fall off the boat,
you have the tether set correctly, we don't fall off a boat in calm
seas, the water is warm, the crew can get a MOB up on the
beam....except sometimes none of the above is true. I'll take that swm
platform....for it's fun factor, practicality and safety.
Now if my boat interior was smaller than other 35 footers with no swim
platform I might see another side. But that's not the case. The 35s5
and some others, such as the C&C 99 or C&C 34 XL let you have the cake
and eat it too.

RB
35s5...a well baked boat!
NY