Butch Davis

Default Why Are Dual Purpose Batteries the Best for Center Console Boats?

Keep in mind that some of us with small boats need to keep overall weight in
mind. In my 16 Dauntless I often fish three. Add all the gear, the live
well, the lunch coolers, 45 gallons of fuel, a couple of gallons of FICHT
oil, yada, yada and load can impact performance in a big way. My engine is
115 HP and I need to put the biggest fisherman forward when coming out of
the hole.

I do wish the Dauntless fuel tank was a bit further forward.

Butch

I use two blue Optimas and they serve very well.
On 29 Dec 2005 10:47:27 -0800, wrote:

wrote:
I am reading a book called "Powerboater's Guide to Electronic Systems".
The book recommends using two dual-purpose batteries if the boat is a
center console. A dual purpose battery is supposed to be good for both
cranking the motor and serving as a house battery. I am wondering why
a dual purpose battery is the best kind for a center console, but not
the best for a cruising boat (he recommended a combination of a
starting battery and a deep cycle battery for a cruising boat). What
are the reasoning behind this? Won't a combination of a starting
battery and a separated deep cycle battery is just as good for a center
console?

My center console is having two dual-purpose batteries just like what
the book has recommended. I guess this is good. I just don't know why
this is good.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Sounds like the "Powerboater's Guide to Electronic Systems" wasn't
written by a powerboater.

You've got some bad advice.

There is almost no earthly reason to ever have a "starting battery" on
a boat, except it will help the battery manufacturer sell a greater
number of batteries each year. Starting batteries have lighter weight
(thinner) plates so additional surface area can be exposed to the
electrolyte and maximize the CCA rating in a given case size. Those
thin plates disintegrate faster than the thicker plates in a "deep
cycle" battery, and when one plate is gone the battery is toast. The
thin plates make it bad practice to discharge a starting battery very
deeply- the recharge stresses the thin plates and leads to premature
battery failure.

(I use Rolls batteries on my boat. They are sold with a 10-year
warranty. Rolls doesn't even offer a "starting battery", and the
Rolls/Surette company is one of the premiere manufacturers of flooded
cell batteries.)

If space is so tight that you just can't possibly fit a deep cycle
battery rated for sufficient CCA, then I suppose a "starting" battery
must be used- but that situation will arise once in a couple of hundred
installations. In fact, if space is *that* tight, you battery
compartment is probably inadequately ventilated and you have some
other, potentially more serious problems.

Best plan: Always use a deep cycle battery for house loads. Use a deep
cycle battery with sufficient CCA to start your engine in nearly all
applications. Have at least two batteries, properly cabled and
switched.

I second Chuck's opinion.