Bill McKee

Default Why Are Dual Purpose Batteries the Best for Center Console Boats?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am reading a book called "Powerboater's Guide to Electronic Systems".
The book recommends using two dual-purpose batteries if the boat is a
center console. A dual purpose battery is supposed to be good for both
cranking the motor and serving as a house battery. I am wondering why
a dual purpose battery is the best kind for a center console, but not
the best for a cruising boat (he recommended a combination of a
starting battery and a deep cycle battery for a cruising boat). What
are the reasoning behind this? Won't a combination of a starting
battery and a separated deep cycle battery is just as good for a center
console?

My center console is having two dual-purpose batteries just like what
the book has recommended. I guess this is good. I just don't know why
this is good.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

You need a second battery with the capacity to be a starting battery if the
first is dead. Cruising boats, use large deep cycles, that give a low amp
flow for long times. They may not have the short term amp capacity to start
the motor. And deep cycles, are built to not warp the plates when charging.
Starting batteries are not designed to be deeply discharged a lot.