Reggie Smithers

Default Why Are Dual Purpose Batteries the Best for Center Console Boats?

Jay,
I am guessing they are recommending two dual purpose batteries for center
console boats because they assume you will not be placing a large demand on
the battery you use for accessories and a dual purpose will meet the lower
amp requirements and still give you good starting. Just make sure you use
your A/B switch so you always have a strong starter battery to crank your
engine.

I can't think of any reason why a marine starter battery and a deep cycle
battery separated with an isolator and A/B switch wouldn't be a good choice
for a center console, especially if you use a aerator for your fish and bait
tank.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am reading a book called "Powerboater's Guide to Electronic Systems".
The book recommends using two dual-purpose batteries if the boat is a
center console. A dual purpose battery is supposed to be good for both
cranking the motor and serving as a house battery. I am wondering why
a dual purpose battery is the best kind for a center console, but not
the best for a cruising boat (he recommended a combination of a
starting battery and a deep cycle battery for a cruising boat). What
are the reasoning behind this? Won't a combination of a starting
battery and a separated deep cycle battery is just as good for a center
console?

My center console is having two dual-purpose batteries just like what
the book has recommended. I guess this is good. I just don't know why
this is good.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan