posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Ewan Scott

Default kayak air bags & kit

"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is a fairly obvious question, but I could not find much info on
the subject.
I have a dagger RPM, and I want to get air bags for it. However, I'd
like to keep room to put a dry bag (in the stern, because the bow is
inaccessible due to bulkhead footrests). My plan was to put 1 bow and 1
stern air bags (on opposite sides, to keep it flat), leaving 1 stern
"bay" for kit.
Does that seem a resaonable ? or do you really need to go for 2 font /
2 back air bags ?

We fit two rear and deflate them to store kit. Kit is also carried in
airtight bags so acts as bouyancy too.

You only need airbags when you get swamped/ go for a swim. Until then all
they doo is take up space. Once you go for a swim air bags make recovery of
the boat easier (generally) - esp in X rescues, particularly if the rescuer
is small, or the rescuer's boat is small.

Having one airbag at one side at the rear may complicate things - I must
try this next time we are messing about and see if it makes any difference.

I suppose, like most things, there will be many different options :-)

Ewan Scott