John F

Default Training for sailboats/yachts

wrote:
: I live in NYC, and am looking to do some sailing this coming season. I
: am looking at two options: a local sailing club, and a company that
: leases yachts. I am confused as to how much training is required,
: however.
:
: The sailing club (
http://www.sailmanhattan.com/) requires a total of
: 22 hours of training, and they have J/24 sailboats. Even then, one is
: not allowed to sail their boats without a more experienced person being
: the skipper.
:
: The leasing company (http://www.pinnacleyachts.com/) requires 15 hours
: of instruction, and they have Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37 yachts, and once
: you have learned, you are allowed to take them out on your own.
:
: What confuses me is, I would think the 37 footer would be harder than
: the J/24, yet less training is required, and less supervision
: afterwards is required.
:
: Is the sailing club being too strict, the leasing company being too
: lax, or am I missing something?

I live in Jersey City and have taken courses at all three clubs
on the New York Harbor. In addition to your
http://www.sailmanhattan.com/
check out
http://www.sailtruenorth.com/
and http://www.aroundtheharbor.com/
Note that aroundtheharbor is the nyc chapter of
http://www.offshore-sailing.com/

Truenorth and offshore are both on the Jersey side. Truenorth
is right at the Pavonia/Newport PATH station, very easily accessible.
Offshore is PATH to Pavonia, then Light Rail to Liberty State Park,
then a 10-minute walk to Liberty Landing Gate D, where its boats are.
All three are approximately the same price for classes and club
memberships. Truenorth also has J/24's; offshore has Colgate 26's
(roughly the same thing, but easier and quicker to set up).

Offshore has the easiest boat use policy -- there's no "skipper"
designation, and any two club members can reserve and take out
a boat. In fact, I've found myself in some uncomfortable situations
on offshore boats, assuming people knew what they were doing when
they didn't. Both other clubs have more rigid policies.
Nevertheless, all in all, I personally like offshore the best.
But call/visit all three yourself.

As others said, you might not really want to bareboat charter
a 37-foot boat immediately. Maybe visit the local clubs and
find some (more experienced) people to split your first few
charters with.

By the way, if your email is also your website, then (a)congratulations,
and (b)inappropriate sailing wardrobe . Get some sailing gloves and
canvas deck shoes (or more expensive ones if you like) at West Marine,
12 West 37th Street.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: where j=john and f=forkosh )