Doug Kanter

Default Optimal Tongue Weight

Actually, the stability of the towing vehicle has a definite effect on
mileage. If the trailer is horsing the car around, causing all sorts of
sideways motion, the engine's going to work harder to keep things steady.
May not be a major thing unless the situation is WAY out of whack, but if
you glance at car/trailer combos on the highway, you WILL see some that are
definitely wrong.

"Jim Brinson" wrote in message
I have never heard of any kind of relationship between a hitch setup and
mileage. What I do know is that the recommended tongue weight is between
10 and 15% of the trailer gross weight (Trailer + load).
Good luck and good boating,
Jim

Rod McInnis wrote:
"Steve Schertler" wrote in message

I am towing my 29' Donzi with 325-350 lbs tongue weight. I am using the
SenZbar Class III drawbar to weight it. On a Suburban this is giving me

the

best mileage curve.

I don't understand. Are you saying that the hitch configuration is
effecting your gas mileage?

Rod