posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
FREDO

Default Mississippi River trip -- what does a newbie need to know?

IMHO It is a big trip with few places to stop for supplies/gas without much
local knowledge/research. Also river travel in a boat is made more
treacherous by shoals of shifting sand and mud not to mention barge traffic
(a barge wake can overturn an 18 foot boat if you approach too closely). I
suggest you start by docking your boat on the Mississippi river for a period
of time until you can learn some of the idiosyncrasies of river boating all
the while planning where to buy gas, food, etc.

Also the coast guard should have some good info on river navigation lights
and travel you can use.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm interested in taking my family down the Mississippi River some
summer. So far I have almost NO boating experience, so I recognize
that I can't start with a big project; I'll have to learn the basics
before taking The Big Expedition.

Some people have advised me against going on the Mississippi
altogether. "Too dangerous."

Okay. What do I need to know?

Thank you for all serious replies.

Ted Shoemaker