posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Butch Davis

Default Mississippi River trip -- what does a newbie need to know?

Ted,

First, get some training from USPS and CG Aux. Buy and read a Chapman's.
Get some experience on the water including the Mississippi.

Have the right boat. Make sure your insurance will cover the area planned
for your trip. Choose the time of year carefully. The river can be pretty
wild when the snow melt begins or if it's been rainey upstream or around the
upstream tributaries. Don't be tempted to overload your boat with
provisions. Be prepared to make a provisioning stop or few.

If it was me I'd try to arrange a two or three boat flotilla to travel
together. That adds a significant safety factor and could be more fun.

Good luck.

Butch
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I'm interested in taking my family down the Mississippi River some
summer. So far I have almost NO boating experience, so I recognize
that I can't start with a big project; I'll have to learn the basics
before taking The Big Expedition.

Some people have advised me against going on the Mississippi
altogether. "Too dangerous."

Okay. What do I need to know?

Thank you for all serious replies.

Ted Shoemaker