Sean

Default Secure Firearm storage???

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 20:38:41 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

This is the wrong place to be asking about the law. Call your state police.
If you were going to run into trouble with the law, you may as well ask the
gestapo, since they're your worst nightmare.

Boats are notoriously insecure. As far as storage, a wooden locker is not
going to withstand a crowbar attack, but for long guns it might be your only
choice. In that case, I'd go with both trigger locks and cable locks. Remove
the locks when you're using the boat. Head to Home Depot for strips of metal
to reinforce the cabinets, which can be done on the inside, and add a high
security hasp with padlock. Store ammo and magazines separately, perhaps in
a smaller storage box with the handguns.

For handguns, there are quick-access boxes which can be bolted to floors or
walls. I'd still trigger lock the guns when the boat's not in use. Better
yet, take home the handguns.

Take a look at some of these storage options - the smaller ones should be
adaptable to your boat:
http://www.dsmlawenforcement.com/firearm/

http://www.gunvault.com/

-Doug

Thanks for those links.

Yes, I could call the state police but I would expect a runaround and
in the end maybe not even get good info.

Not that Usenet is any more reliable but the beauty of Usenet is
someone may have already done all the legwork and be willing to share
the experience.

For the record, since mass is such a pathetic state, I hired an
attorney who specializes in gun law months ago to assist in my
application process. I've also put the question to him (he's on
vacation) but it never hurts to hear a first hand account from someone
who's been in the same position.

That's why I posted.

Thanks again for the advice.

Sean