Reggie Smithers

Default Evaluating old sails

If you don't know how to evaluate the sails ask some people from the local
sailing / racing club to evaluate your sails and there form. Since you are
using these for cruising, it doesn't have to be the best sails, but they can
give you an idea what you can expect if you have them recut.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Last year, I replaced the 22 yr old sails on my 28' S2. Based strictly
on stitching inspection, I think the sails had many more years of use
but I replaced them because I was convinced by other people that
sailing performance would improve. I believe the sailing performance
DID improve but cannot be sure because this si so subjective. Now I am
skeptical and wonder if sails that are lightly used ( i do not race)
really do become significantly stretched and then do not work well.
Would having the old sails reconditioned by SailCare make them perform
well?