Cantide

Default I/O speed > Inboard speed

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:25:23 -0500, "Jim and Becky"
wrote:

I saw a comparison in a boating magazine last fall.
I didn't get a chance to read it all but essentially a new boat was offered
in Inboard or I/O configurations.
It was perhaps a 28 foot Regal or Rinker twin screw.
Same engines yet the I/O had a top speed 10 mph higher than the straight
inboard.
Does anyone remember this aricle? I believe it was on the front page.
Is this difference in speeds common and why?

For one thing, the thrust angle of the I/O is parallel to the bottom
of the hull. The inboard is at an angle, so some of the thrust is
directed upward instead of forward.

Dan