Bryan

Default Driving Doglegs

wrote in message
oups.com...
Guys,

I had the discussion how one could avoid driving doglegs with a GPS.

A dogleg is the course that occurs when you "aim" for your target
waypoint while wind or current pushes you from the side ... If you
follow bearing to target you would arch around the target and finally
meet it but it would NOT be a straght line..

Question is:

What does one have to do to get to the target on a staright line? Lets
assume we dont make lots of intermediate waypoints.

My 276C has CDI (cross track thing or whatever) havent been able to
test it but wonder if thats the solution?

Matt

xpost

Well, couldn't you make some assumptions for set and drift of current and
expected time to travel, then plug in a waypoint that matches the new
corrected magnetic course? No, I guess not, since that fancy gps thing will
continue to correct you back to an arc and your false target instead of
allowing a straight line course that brings you to your real target.

I've only used paper, pencil, erasers, plotters and rulers to sail anywhere
(still haven't even used an autopilot) and never thought about the dilemma
created by gps in the presence of set and drift. I guess a gps controlled
autopilot would make so many corrections that the doglegs would be
insignificant. Cant wait to hear the answer.