posted to rec.boats.building
William R. Watt

Default How to build a Roman galley ???

"Come back with your shield, or on it."

um, that's Greek, Trojan to be exact, footsoldiers. The Athenians were the
leading seagoing power.

When I watch those old movies I stare at the boats the movie guys build.
There's also some wealthy fellow who rebuilt a Greek "galley". If you
search the Internet you sould find some. BTW the movie boats are all motor
driven. If you watch the oars they sometimes just swish them through the
water with the blade on it's side. They all raise their oars and the boat
keeps motoring right along. The sails are hilarious, backwinding like
crazy while the hidden motor drives the hull though the water.

I've read some interesting books on the history of boats and boatbuilding.
Look for them at the public library, even in the kids' section.