posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Peter Clinch

Default What way to edge.

muzz wrote:
Ok, thanks for all the replies. I learned edging on the river in a WW boat
and it was always 'lift right cheek turn left'. I should get out in my
touring boat tomorrow and I'll edge the other way. No wonder it was taking
so long to turn.

There is no sea kayak that will turn on a sixpence. Expect to take time
to get a sea boat all the way around, but if you can edge it it will
take a bit less time than not edging.

You can still use an inside lean turn, and if you want to change the
angle of heading sharply then it's probably more effective. An outside
lean is a carved turn rather than a skidded one, so if you've got the
space for it it takes less power away.

For more effective turns also try an extended grip on the paddle, moving
away from the centre for your hands to give an extended reach to your
sweeps. Some people moan about cranked paddles being no good for this,
but nobody seems to have told mine it can't be used that way...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK