Default Good Samaritan Rule

Reggie Smithers ( is my first name) wrote:
Chuck,
Why have we lost our sense of community in normal times? It sure would be
nice if NYC could continue this strong sense of community. Heck it is
possible that it could spread from city to city.

Before you knew it would could have a movement....

We have lost our sense of community in normal times because there is an
active industry endlessly dividing us against one another. Voices for
several sides consistently preach that all other sides are totally
without merit. The people who promote this at the very highest level
don't even really care which side we're individually on- the only
important thing to them is that the people are divided (and therefore
less of a threat).

Even those rare calls for "unity" are disingenuous. "Y'all need to
adopt my standards and values, ya hearh, so we can come together and be
united." In fact, we will truly be united when we stick up for one
another *in spite* of differences of opinion- and we will never be
united as long as we perceive people with different values or opinions
as defective in some sense or another.

It's difficult to maintain that perspective in the modern culture of
non-stop propaganda (of one persuasion or another) in almost every
medium.