JohnH

Default Good Samaritan Rule

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:05:26 GMT, "Bryan" wrote:

The Golden Rule.

But, I think more and more it's going by the wayside.
--

I know what you mean, but I think it's still alive and well.

I've raised my son on the values I was raised on: 10 commandments; golden
rule; scout oath, etc. As a teen he questions why I go the extra mile to
help others when there's no obvious and tangible reward, especially when the
media has him convinced that no one does anything good for anyone else
without expecting something in return (fallout from the 80's and 90's?).

I worry that he'll hold back on being helpful, but his teachers are always
sending praises our way and folks in the community always have something
good to say about him in terms of being helpful ....

His challenge to me about always being the one to take the extra step and
the community praise for his taking the extra step, make me think we're
doing alright. Words are loud, but we've got to keep our eyes open to
actions as well.

We're good at heart; I refuse to believe otherwise.

Actually, most of us teachers do a lot of bitching about kids that make up less than
10% of the kid population. There are some spectacular kids out there. There was one
family who had three kids come through my 8th grade class. Wonderful kids! My advice
to them was always the same, "Make more kids!"

Sounds like your son is in the same ballpark. Good job!
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****