posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Teaching the Group about Boats

Low quality, built to a price point.

All production boats are built to a price point. The problem is a false
perception that a smaller builder might produce better boats. The
smaller builder will usually pay more for everything used to construct
a boat. Their best course of action for sales is to proclaim there boat
is "better." But how are they better? My 35s5 looks as good or better
than most Tartans. J-Boats and C&Cs we saw. If there was one standout
it was the Cape Dory yachts which seemed to have weathered the years
better than most other boats.
Big builders can afford to push the envelope. My 35s5 is just light
years beyond most of the boats built in the early 90s. Doug was unable
to find more than a couple of boats that combine her performance and
accomodations per foot. All he could do was post pics of boats that had
half the features.
Do features make a good boat? They do if they're important to
you...like an aft cabin and swim platform. Like a good turn of speed
and a spacious cockpit. Like a beautiful interior and head sized for
adults over 6 feet. Like shallow draft and a clear deck.

RB
35s5
NY