posted to rec.boats.building
Thomas Wentworth

Default Next question ;;;;;; is that your final answer ??

Thanks to all about the Atomic 4 gas engine replacement. I was surprised at
how much it would cost. I will need to do some more research to decide in
what direction to go.

Next question: The Pearson Vanguard is old, 1968. The hull is sound, the
decks are sound BUT..

the finish of the deck, especially, looks chalky. And the inside looks like
CRAP.

I painted an old boat once. First, I sanded. Then, filled the devits, then
clean with solution,,, and then I had the boat painted with a tough paint
,,, Enron ???? or something.

What about deck paint. What or how does one redo an old deck? Since the
fiberglass has little grooves for footing, and all ... how or what can be
done to refinish?

Can you cover the existing deck with something like a laminate? Of course,
you would take off all the old fittings etc first, I presume. That might be
a good thing since then everything could be checked out and replaced if worn
out.

======

Another engine question. With a 33' sailboat. What if there was no engine?
Could I use a rubber dingy with an outboard as a tug? I remember the
schooners down in Maine used this method. They didn't have an inboard
engine that pushed the boat. I think they had an engine just for power,,,
lights etc. But getting in and out of the harbor they used a tug method.

What are your thoughts???

===

Hey, the boat if FREE. I'm just trying to keep it that way.