posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Least safe cars!:

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't look at this from an economic point of view but the political
and social points of view. The question really is whether America can
remain a great power or a dominant power if it becomes a primarily
service economy, and I doubt that. A country has to have an industrial
base in order to play a significant role in the world. And I am
concerned from that point of view.

America is the greatest world power.

America has a service based economy.

A service based economy can be the world power.

America does have a great industrial base. Cars are a commodity, labor costs
are a big factor for commodities.

America leads in aircraft manufacturing. Aircraft are using more and more
composites so traditional machinists are being displaced.
America leads the world in financial services.
America leads the world in investment potential.
America leads the world in paper production, electrical generation, rocket
production, aluminum production, arms manufacturing, medicine,
pharmaceticals, house building, oil refining etc.

Everything America leads the world requires the workforce be highly
education. Education drives unions and low skilled labor away. Send jobs for
the ignorant to China - keep the Commies stupid.

I'm not worried at all. America will always be first in the hardest, most
sophisticated industrial arenas. Leave the easy stuff for foriegners.

Amen!