Rosalie B.

Default ATN TopClimber (was) High Times

Evan Gatehouse wrote:

Skip Gundlach wrote:
I'm also aware of similar methods of ascent in climbing gear, very highly
recommeded by climbers who are also sailors. I've not yet decided how I
want to get up - but I was thinking in terms of what to wear when I got
there.

Bob found the bosn's chair that came with our boat VERY uncomfortable.
So he got a climbing harness from Mountain Gear that he likes very
much. It is much cheaper than the very similar rigger's harness stuff
that is available in marine outlets.

This is the sort of thing I had in mind:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

I use a modified sport climbing harness. It is the type
without any padding. Not comfy for more than about 10
minutes hanging in it. So I sewed in some padding to the
harness. Now it's good for 20-30 minutes before the
pressure in your thighs gets a bit much.

I think the one you have found is much better. The seat
looks very comfy and Petzl is a trusted name in climbing
harnesses.

I think Brion Toss' one is rather overpriced for a extra
padded climbing harness.

I love climbing harnesses compared to a old style plank
chair. You can't fall out of them and they attach lower
down your body, a great advantage when working at the
masthead so you can get to the TOP of the mast.

Next time i go up I will bring a few little slings and make
some prussik steps so I can stand at the masthead and
relieve the pressure on my thighs.

Evan Gatehouse

grandma Rosalie