Calif Bill

Default Boating related!!! a view of the ocean from the bridge.

According to the Government they figure 200' swells possible in the Bering
sea area. Spent a few deficit dollars looking at them with satellite radar
to figure out how to measure and keep ships out of their path.

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
hlink.net...
G Picture a submarine, diving.
Judging wave heights, at sea is not easy. On a ship, judging heights up
to @30-40' can be done with reasonable accuracy (the bigger the ship the
better), but above that it becomes much more difficult.
If you read various books, I believe you'll find that @60' is considered
the maximum that waves can reach at sea. I feel the number is
considerably higher, but no where near 200'.
It's kinda like reporting roll angles with a "clinometer" .... "we were
rolling 40 deg by the clinometer" .... in truth, their roll angle was
closer to 20 deg.

otn

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

A 60 ft high ship can easily have a 30 foot wave break over it if the

back
of the ship is still on top of the prior wave and the nose is in the

trough.

Ok, good points, but I'm confused by this last exanmple.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653