Evan Gatehouse

Default ATN TopClimber (was) High Times

Skip Gundlach wrote:
I'm also aware of similar methods of ascent in climbing gear, very highly
recommeded by climbers who are also sailors. I've not yet decided how I
want to get up - but I was thinking in terms of what to wear when I got
there.

This is the sort of thing I had in mind:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH

I use a modified sport climbing harness. It is the type
without any padding. Not comfy for more than about 10
minutes hanging in it. So I sewed in some padding to the
harness. Now it's good for 20-30 minutes before the
pressure in your thighs gets a bit much.

I think the one you have found is much better. The seat
looks very comfy and Petzl is a trusted name in climbing
harnesses.

I think Brion Toss' one is rather overpriced for a extra
padded climbing harness.

I love climbing harnesses compared to a old style plank
chair. You can't fall out of them and they attach lower
down your body, a great advantage when working at the
masthead so you can get to the TOP of the mast.

Next time i go up I will bring a few little slings and make
some prussik steps so I can stand at the masthead and
relieve the pressure on my thighs.

Evan Gatehouse