JohnH

Default Here's a Story You Will Never See On Fox News

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:33:17 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:59:33 -0500, JohnH wrote:

Another true one:

I had some kids (8th grade) at the board doing problems. A girl had to multiply 6 x 7 as part of her
problem. She asked if she could go to her desk to get her calculator. I said no. She said she didn't
know what 6 x 7 was, so I told her to write seven sixes and add them up. At his point, she got teary
-eyed and someone else said, "42".

That evening her dad called and proceeded to jump all over me for 'embarrassing his daughter'. I
told him it wasn't my fault she couldn't multiply, and *he* should be embarrassed. I suggested he
get some flash cards and use them in the car next time they went to Kings Dominion. He said he was
going to talk to my principal.

I never heard any more about it.

My favorite came from a high school advanced class I was badgered into
one morning.

Had a smart ass who was trying mightily to make the sub squirm. At
one point, he claimed that I was a lousy sub and he knew more than I
did.

So I gave him this to solve: Find THE solution to x = sin(x).

Heh, heh, heh...

His father called me and actually thanked me. He starts telling me
that he's not as smart as his kid, etc, etc, etc. and finally somebody
put him in his place.

Later,

Tom

Luckily I don't run in to the badgering problem very often. I sub only at one school and only for
math teachers (with a rare exception if I really like the teacher). All the kids know me and we get
along pretty well. This year I've kicked a kid out of class only once, and that was an 8th grader
who should have been in prison. He got caught breaking into cars in the parking lot and is no longer
with us.

Subbing math has the advantages of teaching (seeing the 'ah-ha' light come on) without the
disadvantages - parents, papers, and principals!
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****