posted to rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing,aus.sport.sailing,alt.sailing
Duncan Heenan

Default A question of concern

"Ronald Raygun" wrote in message
. uk...
Duncan Heenan wrote:

"Peter HK" wrote in message
"Duncan Heenan" wrote in message

There is no law
against unqualified people sailing boats, there is one regarding people
who drive cars, who have to be licensed and medically fit.

Here there are requirements for boat licences that do require
competency/medical fitness exactly like car licences.

I'm just wondering how unique the UK is in not making sailing licensable.
Are there (m)any other countries which don't? How long do people think
it will be before the UK does fall into line with the practices of
other countries? It may well happen through the back door, billed as a
measure to combat terrorism, smuggling, and money laundering.

More likely to be introduced to raise revenue for the Government. Radio
licencing already exists, though what you get for you money I'm not sure.
How can the Government 'own' radio frequencies?

In that case the question is self answering - if he can get a licence he
can go, if he can't he can't.

He might already have one. It could be that licensing involves a
once-only
test and no periodic medicals.

If so it's the regulations which are mad, not necessarily him.