UglyDan®©™

Default New commercial fishing regulations considered........

Chuck,
Nobody can just go get a commercial license anymore,and its been that
way for years, Boat/License buyback programs have been around for at
least 4 or 5 years now too.
As to Halibut longlining (tub lining), I agree the feds don't give a
"Weather Day" so it can be extremely dangerous if it kicks up.

Many moons ago when the feds started restricting fishing most of the
Owner/Operators were forced out of business and the only way to recoup
any loss was to sell the license, the boat too since the license is
attached to the boat. Back then if the boat was a POS it still had value
because of the license, but, and here's the kicker, The license could
only be transfered to another boat of equal or less tonnage.

BTW, I'm surprised you would trash anyone who works as a roofer, short
order cook, etc...
Most of the guy's I know in the industry are just Commercial (or used
to be) Fishermen trying to make ends meet.
, Try a trip on an ol' Halibut Schooner.
You know what I mean UD