rhys

Default Boat Sank due to Syphoning Effect

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:28:14 +0100, BrianH wrote:

The major problem is from having the corresponding valves
open when leaving the boat for any length of time, unlike
all others, which can (should) be closed.
BrianH.

I went to the canvas-covered and land-locked boat yesterday, as I do
every week or so whether I have work to do or not. As the wind was 25
knots from the East and consequently quite bitter, I didn't want to
hang about, but then I noticed a half-meter icicle hanging from the
port cockpit drain. When "on the hard" I leave ALL seacocks open,
aside from the engine intake, which stays closed to keep the
antifreeze in. Basically, I do the opposite to what I do in the water.

And I'm glad I do. The wind had at some point loosened the light line
holding down the canvas, which had sagged and accumulated several
kilos of ice. This had thawed and frozen more than once, and had
seeped through into the cockpit, which now requires "defrosting".

If the cockpit drains had NOT been open, I would have likely had
columns of ice in there and a thick layer of ice in the cockpit and on
one locker lid. Instead, 90% of it drained out. The only damage done
is some small tears to the canvas, which I will repair as soon as we
get a day without wind or snow even slightly above the freezing point.

Just some "front-line" experience. Leave your seacocks OPEN in the
winter, because a boat in a cradle is just a glorified bucket.

R.