posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default Bye Bye Tookie

Personally, I think that if one believes that the state has
no moral right to capital punishment; then by logic, the
state would also have no right to wage war.

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
I'm not arguing morality. I'm arguing that it serves no purpose to
execute someone.

???
Is this one of those 'meaning of life' type statements? Does
it serve any purpose to live in the first place?

In any event, execution *definitely* serves a purpose. It
removes a threat & a waste of good oxygen.

... There are worse things that are less expensive.

The reason why the death penalty is so expensive is that
it's the subject of endless meaningless appeals. Meanwhile,
health care for prisoners is not a trivial expense for the
state, either.

The state should be a reflection of the people contained in it, but
not an exact reflection. It should act in the best interest of as many
people as possible, but also act in the best interests of a small
group in certain circumstances.

Well, here's the problem. "The best interest of a small
group in certain circumstances" always opposes the best
interest of certain other groups. Some people are opposed to
anybody owning a gun, others are opposed to drunk driving,
beer in cans, etc etc. Obviously not everybody gets their
own way all the time.

I don't believe in the death penalty as a practice.

That's OK, you don't have to be the one that throws the switch.

... The state should
not be in the business of killing people without necessity.

Now here's one of those problematic details: define "necessity."

... There is
no necessity in executing someone who would otherwise be behind bars
for the rest of their life.

Maybe yes, maybe no. It puts the guards at risk, the person
could escape, a change of administration policy, or a
paperwork mistake could release them, etc etc.

There is no recidivism from the death penalty.

War is a different matter, where the survival of the state (and the
people) is at stake.

Pretty much equivalent cases, I'd say. The difference is a
matter of scale.

DSK