Short Wave Sportfishing

Default depth finder "Inside" alum hull

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:00:13 GMT, moyo
wrote:

Is it possible to mount a depth finder to a single plate aluminum
hull from the the inside?

It is possible to mount it? Yes.

Will it work? No.

I know that it is possible but will the DF work without interference from the
AL hull? I own a 60 foot Lazy days houseboat and mounting a transducer
near the outdrives doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense and mounting
a thru hull seems to be asking for trouble when you beach the boat.

The transducer has to "see" water and the only way that can happen is
if it's in contact with the water.

You can mount the transducer by the outdrives, just keep the
transducer in clear water - when you run the boat, just take a look
over the stern and note where there is clear water and mount the
transducer there.

As I have no idea what the hull of a Lazy Days houseboat looks like, I
can't say much more than that.

However, do you need a depth finder? If you can beach a 60 foot boat,
there can't be much draft to the vessel making the whole point of a
depth finder mute.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653