Mark Kovalcson

Default Follow up

Since they introduced the Hydrophonic Damping System back in 1996 it has
been an issue. Tom may point out it is statistically unimportant (like that
helps you), but he
and most other people I know including Malibu owners think the whole concept
is flawed. MC has some gel like substance laminated into the hull to reduce
noise and CC laminates in ISO Damp to reduce noise. Malibu decided to use
water and make their quieter mufflers an optional upgrade. There are very
different design imperatives at work here.

Many of us understand Malibu's position. Agreeing with it is another story.
You are probably very right that CC would have treated you differently as MC
probably would have as well. I know a number of people who have had boats
replaced for a LOT less than this. I know two that not only got a
replacement, but an upgrade over a cosmetic issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

"J.W. Frank" wrote in message
Well, thanks to the web it would appear I have a much better understanding
of the problem now. Various people have responded with information
regarding this on-going problem from Malibu.

First, I need to sincerely appologize to the local dealer. I feel bad

that
he is caught in the middle. If I were him, I would investigate a new
product line (I'm sure he will if he hasn't already).

Next, I need the boat fixed. Possibly so that I may sell it and go back

another, more reputable, company that takes concerns with customer
satisfaction seriously.

Third, I need to be sure that I share my story with as many skiers as
possible. Maybe I am just one person who is insignificant in the eyes of
Malibu but I still represent a group (competitive skiers) who made Malibu
possible. Perhaps the should reflect more on where they came from.

-Rant ON-

Additionally, maybe they should spend more time fixing problems before

they
reach the consumer rather than putting a band-aid on them after the fact.
It doesn't seem like a strong corporate philosophy to me. Maybe the
surf-boys in Calif. just got a little too much sun to make a good

decision.
But hey, if it makes them money, who cares, right?

- Rant OFF -

Thanks to everyone out there with something to add. You have helped. I

am
done wasting bandwidth now. On to more productive things!

--

"J.W. Frank" wrote:

Just a quick question: if you recently handed over close to 30k for a
new Malibu Response LX and it keeps taking on excessive water, what
would you do?

I returned it to the dealer. Multiple times.
I spoke with the factory... twice.

They seem to think it is a minor problem (the hydrobox is leaking and
needs fiberglass repair). I think it is a major problem... a
"manufacturing defect", if you will.

I asked for another "new boat" that didn't leak. They said no way. I
offered to trade it in and pay the difference if they would help me work
through the dealer. They again said no, "it's a little problem".

Mastercraft and Correct Craft never treated me this way. "Guy" (the
customer service manager) at Malibu told me to go ahead and write
this... that people would understand Malibu's position. I hope he is
right......

For Sale, one Malibu Response LX with 10 hrs. Leaks like a sieve but
Malibu says don't worry! I'll even take a loss on this one (hell, I've
owned it since last August and haven't been able to ski behind it since
then! That alone is a loss.) Make me an offer, I'm not kidding. I
want a quality boat again.

Comments welcome.

Joe --
(pictures available upon request, it sure looks pretty)