Gary

Default Boat Sank due to Syphoning Effect

Peggie Hall wrote:
Bryan wrote:

Trying to tell people to install vented loops is like trying to get
them to close seacocks when they leave the boat for extended periods.
Ain't gonna happen.

I know. Today's typical boat owner is a new breed...clueless, happy to
remain so, unwilling to learn even the most basic skills, do any manual
labor, or take any responsibility for ensuring the safety of his own
boat...if I've heard "that's why I have insurance" once, I've heard it
100 times! Perhaps if the insurance industry stopped paying claims for
preventable losses.... But that ain't gonna happen either.

Btw, Doug... Not all bilge pump thru-hulls are above the waterline???
That's nutsy design...how can a pump empty out a boat through a hole
through which water can come in faster than the pump can push it out???
Otoh, I just learned that a lot of cockpit drain through-hulls are also
below the waterline...which makes no sense to me either...sigh...

Why not? None of my boats have had cockpit drains above the waterline
(unless heeled). That is why there are valves on them.