Gary

Default Boat Sank due to Syphoning Effect

DSK wrote:
Bryan wrote:

Trying to tell people to install vented loops is like trying to get
them to close seacocks when they leave the boat for extended periods.
Ain't gonna happen.

Yep. And that's why somany boats are in the shape they're in.

When you tell people they should close all the through hulls prior to
leaving they say that is not what they are for, or that would take to
long, or don't you trust your hoses, or I can't get too my through
hulls,,,,and that is why most boats sink at the dock.

Yep again. "That's not what they're for"??!? Gee what are they for then?

"Can't get to my thru-hulls"?!?!!?!!!???!! Why did you buy a freekin'
boat with inaccessible thru-hulls?

Another common one is people who don't know where their thru-hulls are.

You should see the looks I get from the yard when I tell them the
ignition key is hanging on the closed raw water engine intake and they
will need to open the intake when getting the key to start the engine.

Another goody is people not closing their fuel tank valves.

Gary wrote:

Yup, my cousins bilge pump started syphoning and sank his boat.

"Peggie Hall" wrote

I don' TEEENK that's what happened...for a couple of reasons: bilge
pumps don't bring water INTO the boat, they remove water FROM the
boat...and the thru-hulls for bilge pumps are above the waterline.

Umm, not all of them are.

The water that sank your cousin's boat had to be coming in somewhere
else...and either the bilge pumps clogged and failed, or they kept
pumping till they drained the batteries and died...allowing the boat
to fill up and sink. Or, the water was coming in faster than the
bilge pumps could keep up with it. Or any combination/all of the above.

Rainwater can do it. Also if shore water supply is left hooked up, and a
leak begins (or a hose blows out); that is a very common way boats sink
at the dock (accoring to insurance). I guess leaving shore water hooked
up goes on the list with leaving thru-hulls & fuel valves open....

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

I didn't conduct an investigation. His boat sank, it had a bilge pump,
no head, and an outboard. The only thru hull was the bilge pump outlet.
It's his story. Argue about something else.