Peggie Hall

Default Boat Sank due to Syphoning Effect

Stephen Trapani wrote:

So when I heard this last week here I realized I am one of the fools
who trusted their wet/dry valve and left the seacock open on the head
intake.

Not only the wet/dry valve, but also the last person to use the toilet
to leave it in the dry mode.

But my question is, I don't have a vented loop in the line, a vented
loop would be hardish to install with the layout I have. Should I
put one in or not, assuming I never again leave the seacock open?

Put one in. People are fallible...if you're only just beginning to
retrain yourself to close the seacocks, you WILL come in late enough and
and tired enough to say "to hell with the rest...it'll be ok this time."

Vented loops aren't quite 100% foolproof (you DO have to maintain 'em),
but they go a long way toward saving fools from ourselves, and they do
provide an arch in the line well above the waterline that water can't
rise above unless a siphon does get started.

Btw...the loop should be at least 6-8" above the waterline at ANY angle
of heel.

--
Peggie