Lord Reginald Smithers

Default Best Handheld VHF?

Kevin,

You need to do a better job of reading the Subject matter. We were talking
about VHF frequencies.

8.893 MHz is not a VHF frequency.

It is very common for people to bounce SW frequencies off the atmosphere.
One of the advantages of VHF is the fact they normally do not reflect off of
the atmosphere, so someone is Key West will not be stepping over someone
transmitting on their VHF in the Chesapeake Bay.

No one was questioning if SW freq. could be received farther than line of
sight.

Do you ever get tired of looking foolish?

wrote in message
ups.com...

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 12 Dec 2005 05:23:36 -0800, wrote:

Bill McKee wrote:

The CG has a higher antenna and better receivers?

A friend of my brother's who lives close to the PA-NY border built a
Beverage Antenna on his hill, and can receive CG transmissions from Key
West, FL!!

What frequency?

Response from the person owning the antenna:
It's 8.983 MHZ and it's the upper sideband (SSB). They use several
different freqs across the shortwave bands, but this one seems to be
used the most; the base is in Chesapeake Bay; usually you hear
aircraft on routine patrol but once in a great while it gets
interesting. I also hear aircraft and cutters off puerto rico quite a
bit.