Coff

Default Economy Rebounds - Productivity Soars, Jobless Claims Drop

" Sorry libs, the sky certainly ain't a fallin'.

Everyone's greater concern is that this represents another example of
increasing productivity NOT being returned to Middle America in the
form higher wages or growing job quality and quantity.

I don't usually contribute to off-topic political posts, but I am
becoming increasingly worried about the future of jobs in this nation.
USA TODAY, this week, had a section on the mass export of jobs to
India that are traditionally professional jobs, such as IT, Claims
Adjusting, Customer Service, Banking, ETC. Many Fortune 500 companies
now have call centers in India to handle customer service. Indian
workers assume American names such as "Jennnifer Smith" as a pseudonym
at work and converse daily with thousands of Americans. COmmunication
costs have dropped, so all this can be moved offshore.

The manufacturing sector continues to die a little more each time we
go through this. I think we are coming to a crossroad where jobs
worth having will not be in this nation. Temping, low wages, and no
job security are not going to get mortgages, pay children's college
tuition, and run this economy.

Our entire economy right now is built on second mortgages digging
Americans "out of debt". People have now instituionalized their
consumer debt as 15-30 year first or second mortgages. The result is
little discretionary income as those individuals turn around and add
new credit card debt to maintian thier lifestyle. I honestly fear
there will be large new consumer debt, no new way to spread it out to
make it more manageable, and folks are going to find themselves moving
into their 50's & 60's with large debts, and no where to turn.

We have been threatened to raise productivity (with no reward for
doing so), taught to fear for our jobs, keep our heads down, and
don't expect anything more than the privilage of keeping our job for
one more month. The current administration must either address the
issue, or admit to our children that "every child will be left behind"
unless they are well-connected as they are the first generation that
will achieve less than their parents (as a whole).

I see no sacrifice or challenges to the upper incomes in this nation,
but we are gutting the middle class, stomping on the working class,
and not being told the truth. I listened carefully to the President's
address on the lawn of the White House before he went on vacation.
Constant questions about jobs resulted in vague, contentless, babbble
about "savings accounts" for job seekers, needing to invest in high
tech training, etc. As I said earlier, we are shipping these jobs
overseas.

I supported President Bush, but I'm quickly losing faith in him. I
watch the justification for war evaporate, more manufacturing jobs,
and now professional jobs, go overseas, aging men try to fulfil dreams
of glory that were applicable to the 1970's, and a significant shift
of tax policy and wealth shift to the upper class. This
administration is attempting to do away with defined pension plans to
"assist business" with the burdens they bear, etc. etc.

I have actually heard my 15 year old son remark about hoping to have
what mom and dad have when he is our age. That would be a 16 year old
Carver, a 13 year old and a 3 year car in the garage, and two kids in
braces at $5K per mouth. Will he do it?

Thanks for lending me your ear. I have no desire to flame or argue,
and won't reply to any responses. I'm just concerned, that's all.

Regards,

Coff