posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Jonathan Ganz

Default Bow and Stern Anchoring at Catalina Island

In article ,
Cindy Ballreich wrote:
Jonathan Ganz wrote:

I was asking if it was either high wind on the nose coming or going or
built up sea action that was the major issue with not going. Apparently the
former.

Jonathan,

The usual swell is from the west. When you get a NE - E wind of any
strength, the wind waves pile up against the swell and you get a real
mess of a sea state. It will stay that way for a day or so after the
wind stops. If the wind wasn't so gusty, it would probably make for some
fun sailing.

A Santa Ana blew up the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We were over in Cat
Harbor moored at Wells Beach. (Wells Beach mud is *nasty*! Don't wear
your good sailing gloves when you pick up the mooring.) It was really
spooky listening to the wind, but we were totally safe there. Not so
over on the other side. Apparently two boats went on the beach and
several others had serious problems. The Harbor Patrol had their hands
full. The sail home Sunday was pretty sloppy, but fun.

That same weekend a "Norther" blew in the Sea of Cortez. Since there was
a lot of north to that Santa Ana, I wonder if they were the same weather
system.

Cindy

Yeah, I meant to say that the sea state was the prime
consideration. Thanks for the extra detail re conditions.

Jonathan
--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com