posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bill McKee

Default Bow and Stern Anchoring at Catalina Island

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article ,
Alan Gomes wrote:
I agree about trying to avoid the crowds. I make relatively few trips
over
there in the summer but many in the off season. The best time (in my
opinion) is spring (March through May). Fall is good also if you dodge
the
Santa Anas.

So, the Santa Ana issue is a sea state issue not a return issue?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

J,

The Santa Ana's can be thought of as a howling offshore wind. I've taken
advantage of lightweight Santa Ana's in San Diego; makes for some great
surfing when a strong swell is present or makes for a full speed near
shore ride in your Catalina 30 "sled". The Santa Ana winds can be gale
force, even approaching, historically, near-hurricane strength. As I
said, I've never experienced the Santa Ana's at Catalina Island; if they
are expected, I won't sail to the island (not a real problem for me as my
island sailing is summer and the winds generally kick up in fall and
winter). It's a 25 to 30 mile fetch from mainland to island so the seas
can kick up pretty good and anchoring or mooring on the lee shore is a
problem. When you get to Two Harbors you can check out some historical
photos of the damage the Santa Ana's can cause to boats and structures on
the lee shore.

Bryan

Jonathan,
I'm not sure I understood your question, but Bryan pretty much summarized
it. Virtually all of the coves on the north side of the Island (with the
possible exception of Big Fisherman's at the Isthmus--which is privately
controlled by USC) are exposed to the NE, which puts you on a dangerous
lee shore. In a strong Santa Ana condition (as opposed to the light ones
we sometimes get) the waves can get rather large and slam straight into
these coves. I've been over there several times during these
conditions--both on the front (north) and back side. Although the wind
will still howl even on the back side (e.g., Cat Harbor) the water remains
flat and so it's not such a big deal; it's the wave action that makes
these particularly dangerous.

Alan Gomes

Only major Santa Ana I ever experienced was on the Catalina Express. Even
50% of the crew was sick. Chairs sliding around. Major swells. the
locals say go expecting to stay the night. You may have to leave early in
the morning to beat the winds.