posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bryan

Default Bow and Stern Anchoring at Catalina Island

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article ,
Alan Gomes wrote:
I agree about trying to avoid the crowds. I make relatively few trips over
there in the summer but many in the off season. The best time (in my
opinion) is spring (March through May). Fall is good also if you dodge the
Santa Anas.

So, the Santa Ana issue is a sea state issue not a return issue?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

J,

The Santa Ana's can be thought of as a howling offshore wind. I've taken
advantage of lightweight Santa Ana's in San Diego; makes for some great
surfing when a strong swell is present or makes for a full speed near shore
ride in your Catalina 30 "sled". The Santa Ana winds can be gale force,
even approaching, historically, near-hurricane strength. As I said, I've
never experienced the Santa Ana's at Catalina Island; if they are expected,
I won't sail to the island (not a real problem for me as my island sailing
is summer and the winds generally kick up in fall and winter). It's a 25 to
30 mile fetch from mainland to island so the seas can kick up pretty good
and anchoring or mooring on the lee shore is a problem. When you get to Two
Harbors you can check out some historical photos of the damage the Santa
Ana's can cause to boats and structures on the lee shore.

Bryan