posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Jonathan Ganz

Default Bow and Stern Anchoring at Catalina Island

In article ,
Alan Gomes wrote:
Bryan,

On this particular Labor Day I did not get up to the Isthmus. I actually
anchored just inside Long Point--on a single anchor. I arrived earlier that
week and left at 7:00 am on Sunday. Upon leaving I motored around the
adjacent coves (Whites, Moonstone, etc.) and the conditions were as I
described: packed like sardines! Yes, it was a zoo once the weekend arrived.
Long Point was not a good place to be anchored because of all of the fast
power boat traffic kicking up a swell. I had out a flopper stopper which
helped, but it was uncomfortable.

I agree about trying to avoid the crowds. I make relatively few trips over
there in the summer but many in the off season. The best time (in my
opinion) is spring (March through May). Fall is good also if you dodge the
Santa Anas.

So, the Santa Ana issue is a sea state issue not a return issue?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com