posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bryan

Default Bow and Stern Anchoring at Catalina Island

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
. ..
Bryan,

On this particular Labor Day I did not get up to the Isthmus. I actually
anchored just inside Long Point--on a single anchor. I arrived earlier
that week and left at 7:00 am on Sunday. Upon leaving I motored around the
adjacent coves (Whites, Moonstone, etc.) and the conditions were as I
described: packed like sardines! Yes, it was a zoo once the weekend
arrived. Long Point was not a good place to be anchored because of all of
the fast power boat traffic kicking up a swell. I had out a flopper
stopper which helped, but it was uncomfortable.

I agree about trying to avoid the crowds. I make relatively few trips over
there in the summer but many in the off season. The best time (in my
opinion) is spring (March through May). Fall is good also if you dodge the
Santa Anas.

Cat Harbor has the best anchorage in my opinion, strictly from an
anchoring standpoint. It has excellent holding ground and calm water. Plus
there's lots of space. I don't think Cat Harbor is the prettiest cove,
though. One downside to Cat Harbor is that it's a longer trip around West
End. But that extra bit of isolation does tend to make it less populated.
Even on weekends when every mooring is filled at both the Isthmus and
Avalon you can often get one at Cat Harbor, which tends to fill up last.
And you can pretty much figure that there will be sufficient room to
anchor no matter what.

Another nice cove on the back side is Little Harbor, just about 3 or 4
miles from Cat Harbor. You tuck yourself in behind a reef, which helps cut
down on the surge. There is not a lot of room for too many boats but in
the off season it's no problem. Also, the way the terrain is you've got a
solid cell phone signal there, if that matters to you.

Rippers is nice but doesn't have that much room. Plus, in my own case I
typically need to remain in cell phone contact and so that limits me. At
least with my service (Cingular) I could not maintain cell contact from
Rippers. Emerald Bay is beautiful but pretty limited as far as anchoring
goes. Cell coverage is marginal but works well enough. I was there this
last June with some friends. We competed in the ARRL ham radio Field Day
as a maritime mobile from there. Lots of fun.

Where is your boat located? I'm out of San Pedro (Holiday Harbor, Berth
34)

Regards,
Alan Gomes (1987 Catalina 30 "Sola Scriptura")

Alan,
I'm north of San Francisco! I come down to Marina Del Rey once or twice each
summer and charter a 30 foot Catalina from Marina Sailing for a couple of 4
day getaways. Otherwise I have a little 18 foot runabout to play in between
sailing trips. I charter 30 plus footers from Club Nautique for sailing in
San Francisco Bay. And from San Diego Yacht Charters for my Isla Coronado
and San Diego Bay trips. I made the Catalina trip a few years ago for
Thanksgiving; good weather, but swells were up and no wind (family didn't
enjoy that ride). I tend to stick to summer for the predictable wind and
warmest water.

So I've got to ask, what is it about March through May that makes it your
preferred season? It is definitely not the water temp! Is it dependable
wind for sailing? Is it the absence of crowds? We went to Avalon last
Spring for a week; great weather, but no wind.

I hiked from Two Harbors to Little Harbor and it looks like a great little
hideaway, but my charter agreement does not allow me to enter Little Harbor
because of the reef. The harbor is within my abilities, but I tend not to
break agreements I have with others.

Ripper's is just a day stop for me, as is Avalon. I prefer a mooring at Two
Harbors and take day trips from there.
I don't need to remain in cell contact, but you're right; with Cingular I
basically don't have a phone when I get to the island.

Some day I want to get my hands on Little Geiger's only mooring and try that
for some isolation. Emerald Bay was my first Catalina stop ever; the other
visits are starting to run together, but the first always stands out.

Bryan