Doug Kanter

Default Better *Defensive* Handgun

wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:56:16 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
k.net...

Second (following your post) - This is insane. You think you have time
select a particular spot on your target (the intruder)? How does a
laser
sight keep you from exposing your head while taking aim? You can buy a
laser pointer if you really think this stunt will be effective.

I wonder why these things are true.

1) The two largest handgun makers on the planet don't offer models with
laser anything installed, nor do they even sell them as accessories for
users to install themselves. Instead, they offer tritium night sights.

2) In NRA and IDPA tournaments, there are people who shoot so well, they
seem like machines. They don't use laser sights.

3) Every book I've ever read, by instructors like Massad Ayoob, Chuck
Taylor
and Gabe Suarez, say best shooting results are obtained when you force
yourself to drop the target out of focus, and bring the gun's sights
into
focus.

4) Pistols set up for hunting virtually never include laser sights.

Strange, isn't it?

Laser sights are a terrific thing for rifle use in some situations, but
for
anything else, they're just a security blanket.

My understanding is that the laser dot is supposed to improve your
ability to isolate your target, once you are sure you have a target, in
near darkness. I wouldn't shoot at anything I couldn't see clearly and
recognize *as* my target. If I have a perp in my house and he's coming
at me, I'm going to blast him with a 12-gauge and stop him, not play
around with a little red light.

I doubt Skipper has any firearms. He might have a flashlight.

I have a laser on my .45 Ruger and I think it is just a waste of
money. In a serious social situation it might actually give the other
guy a better place to aim at.

Which .45 Ruger do you have? I'm pondering an upgrade.