Jack Redington

Default newbie buying a used cruiser-what size best?

Trevor wrote:

I haven't boated much (just boating on friends boats)and want to get
an idea of a managagable size boat to purchase. Is 31 ft too long, or
should I purchase a 27 or 28 footer to begin?

Looking back, what would you have done differently when you you first
took the plunge buying your first boat?

A lot depends on where and how you plan to use the boat. Large lakes or
ocean/great lakes vs small shallow lakes vs river and streams will all
play a part in ones selection. Overall size will be effected by these as
well.

Are currents a issue, what about wind the list is endless.

I would suggest that you look around at where you want to boat and
observe the various types of craft in use. Them determine what type
would fit the scope of what you want to do. If the craft is large and
you are a little scared of handeling it see if you can hire someone who
has experiance with these typeps of craft to show you the tricks on
handeling. I would aslo suggest looking into a boating safty course
before even purchasing a boat. You will learn just basic handeling and
the rules of the road. But also be able to get insite from folks that
are already on the water.

Good Luck and happy boating..

Capt Jack R..

ps these folks have classes avaiable in most areas http://www.cgaux.org/