Jeff

Default Anchor lines

Bryan wrote:

And, you might be in a situation when bow/stern won't do what you
want. For example, if other people have only one or multiple bow
anchors out. Your neighbor would swing into you.

The best rule of thumb is to follow the lead if you're not there
first. If you are there first, you get to set the precedence, assuming
you know what you're doing of course.

I'm familiar with other anchoring techniques and have practiced them, but
have never been in a setting requiring their execution. One of my
anchorages, swing is not an issue, the other, bow and stern is the custom.

I sailed for many years before I started double anchoring. For some
reason, I thought it was overly complicated. Then I cruised in the
company of an old friend who saw me dragging a bit in soft mud. He
yelled over, "just power over there and throw out your Danforth -
you'll sleep a lot better." Ever since then I've kept a Fortress on
deck to use whenever I thought I might worry at 2AM.